Tuesday 1 March 2011

Recycled T-Shirt Scarf


Do a spring clean by recycling some old t-shirts.

Today I’m saying goodbye to February and hello to March. I can’t believe how quick this year has gone by so far, but all we can do is chug along and try to keep up.

Now even though we’re in March it’s not quite spring yet, and we still need to keep ourselves wrapped up. So here is a quick and easy tutorial for a stylish and light weight scarf that will come in handy until summer arrives to warm us up.

I have to admit I am a bit of a hoarder so when I saw this project on how to recycle your old t-shirts on Shwim&Shwim I whipped out some old tops I haven’t worn in years and began snipping.

Step 1: Get rummaging into that wardrobe and pick an old top.




Step 2: Begin cutting 1inch strips from the bottom of the t-shirt (don’t through away the scrap bits of your t-shirt as you will be using it again).


With a normal t-shirt you should get around 16 strips, as mine was quite small I only got 12, so I decided to use another top.

Step 3:
Wrap the strips around your hand, the tighter bound the smaller the scarf. (If you want your scarf to be small with tight ringlets use more strips) I kept mine quite loose.


Step 4: Keep your ringlets neat and of similar size (unless you want to make them different sizes for a quirky effect). If like me you are using two different coloured tops have them in the order you want to attach them.


Step 5: Now you can begin attaching the ringlets. From the remaining t-shirt cut some 4inch long strips and weave through the first two ringlets. Then tie a double knot.


Continue with each ringlet, one at a time, until they are all in one line. Now you can either attach the last ringlet to the first for a chain effect as I have done above, or you can keep it like a basic scarf as I have also tried below.


So there you have it. I hope you give it a go and let me know how it turns out. Try some different coloured t-shirts or coloured yarns to make it more adventurous. :) Have a good Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! At step 4, once you have your ringlets do you tie or fasten them at that point or just hold them together with the double knots in the next step?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    All you have to do in step 4 is to set your ringlets together in front of you to make sure they are the size you like. Then in step 5 you start tieing them together in a double knot to secure.

    I hope that has helped and i'm glad you like the idea, i'm hoping to post some more recycling tips soon, if you have anymore questions please ask away :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete